Friday, November 17, 2006

Road Trip



A couple of weeks ago, while Clare was away in the UK, Malcolm and I took a road trip to explore the East Cape. He called our journey a Surf Trip but since my only surfing for the whole week was less than an hour on the super tame wave at Tologa Bay (below) I don't think I really qualify as a surfer.



The lack of suitably gentle waves to accommodate my lack of finesse did not leave me idle, there was the role of video camera operator while Malcolm was surfing, after watching some of the early footage I began to wish I had gone on the Sky induction and had a go on a TV camera.

There were a few afternoons with no waves at all so we went fishing.


I thought I did pretty well baiting my own hooks with dead fish and I even managed to cast it out more than a few feet from where I stood. Unfortunately the only thing biting was the particularly vicious seaweed. It put up a good fight but in the end I managed to land it for a prize photo.




Malcolm was very unsporting and actually caught a fish.














Bored of seaweed hunting I donned mask and snorkel and took to the water to check and see if there really were any fish in the sea. I found plenty right where I had been fishing and they all looked like they were laughing at me. Why didn't we pack a spear gun?
While exploring a narrow gulley I was amazed to see a stingray swim right under me, with only a few feet of water for the both of us I had visions of Steve Irwin headlines. I am sure they really are very placid fish but I didn't want to put that to the test by cornering it in a narrow shallow gulley so I made a hasty exit.



I am sure that somewhere in the Surf Trip rule book it says that lying around is a bona fide activity.

No comments: