Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Sign here

This morning I have been to the beach to watch the last of the sunrise, it has been my alarm clock while I living here. The black clouds which formed a filter as the sun climbed higher into the sky have now arrived overhead as rain, so I am back inside.

I have a couple of hours to myself this morning before I set out to town. I have two appointments, the first is to sign the contract for my new job with the Bank of New Zealand and to make a start on the visa paperwork that will keep me in the country after 8th April. It is 6 months to the day that I finished working at Sky, my feelings about starting work again are mixed. If I could, I would not go back to work at all. I would probably not spend the next 6 months hanging out here at the beach either, but working 9-5 (or more) in an office wouldn't be my first choice. However I have to be realistic, I can not stay on holiday for ever, neither can I stay in New Zealand without a visa for much longer so getting a job fits well. Given that this is the direction I have chosen I am really pleased about my new job. It is similar enough to previous jobs to be comfortable but different enough to be interesting.

My second appointment today is to sign the tenancy agreement for my new home. For the first time ever I will be living on my own. I could have looked for a flat share, it would be a fast way to meet new people but I really want to get my own place, thus I am renting a 1 bedroom 'unit'. Coming from the UK the term 'unit' doesn't mean much to me, here it seems to imply a self contained dwelling, either a flat, apartment or in my case a terraced 1 bed bungalow, number 5 of 6 'units' on the same plot. Its fairly small but newly renovated and the rent is reasonable. I don't have much stuff, I only arrived here with a bicycle and a suitcase so small is good. I don't anticipate needing much space as I don't plan to buy too much stuff in the near future. The 'unit' comes equipped with some the big expensive things like a fridge, washing machine and cooker but no furniture. Leaving me to furnish and adorn to my own taste.

So in a few weeks time I will have quit the beach and will be getting up to go to work with the masses. I have put an alarm clock on my shopping list as the sun will soon be on its winter schedule. I will miss my sunrise starts but I am sure we will synchronise again in the spring.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.