
I’m in Dunedin, likened to Edinburgh in Scotland, its at the cold end of New Zealand. I know very little about Edinburgh so I won’t make any further comparisons. As of about half an hour ago I have been here for a week.
It has been difficult to assess the town’s merits as a new home since I am still suffering from the shock of moving from semi-tropical Auckland to this Southern outpost. In this week since I arrived it has been too cold to get out of bed one morning followed by scorching hot sun the following afternoon. Even as I am writing this I am watching a rather unpleasant looking cloud front advance towards us, closing out today's perfectly blue sky.
Although the weather is significant, the landscape of Dunedin has left an even stronger initial impression. The hills are large and steep, rising in every direction. We are renting a house just over the top of the highest ridge that forms the city bowl. Walking to and from town is character building and removes the need for a formal fitness program.
When not out of breath from the hills, or trying to balance clothing to match the constantly shifting temperature, my focus has been on finding my feet in this new town and on contemplation of beginning my search for employment to fund fuel for winter heating.
I’m here because of Pete. He is my now well established boyfriend. He has come to Dunedin to do a masters degree in wildlife film making, and I have followed.
During my time in the abyss (ref. previous blog entry) I met Pete. We worked together and quickly found we connected on many levels. His desire to try something different has been a constant reminder to me that I didn’t come this far around the world to live in a huge city and spend most of my days in a tower block.
While I negotiated the maze of immigration red tape I had no choice but to work, however I was very lucky to have a fantastic boss and interesting projects to keep me distracted. In December I finally was granted NZ residency meaning I could now stay in the country without being tied to a corporate sponsor for my visa. A week or so later Pete was offered a place on this course.
Since that day we have been focused on getting us and our possessions here.
(Photo: Me and Pete on a weekend escape from the Abyss)
2 comments:
I have internet but no job. House is iffy. Future is iffier. EDG has spent all the money and not paid any bills. Do have Travis coming to dinner tonight. Some days I just want to run away. Want to swap?
Hey Sinead,
I've been to Dunedin and it was bloody cold then too! Glad to hear life is treating you well in the land of the long white cloud (you'll be seeing a few more of them down South!), I knew you'd fit it well down there.
Andy Reynolds
PS Finally quit CACI and set up my own co.
Post a Comment