Yesterday I paid my entrance fee for the Dunedin Half-Marathon (13th September). I know every training run I miss will make the half marathon harder. For that reason I have decided to go public with regular progress updates by blogging. It doesn’t matter if no one reads them. I am hoping that the though of someone reading them will be another motivator to get me away from the fire and running this winter.
This morning there were no “if’s” or “maybe’s” on going for a run. With a generous coating of snow, the streets of Dunedin were no place for running. It would have been perfect if the cancelled run meant a lie-in but with no chance of the car leaving the drive until a thaw I had to walk to work.
Normal activities of the town were derailed on the same scale as in London when a few flakes settle. Most people stayed home the office was deserted, all the schools were closed and the highways out of town in both directions were closed until mid afternoon.
[Stuart St - Rush Hour - Photo by Pete]

Bored in the empty office, I came home at lunchtime. At sea level, in town the snow had turned to mush. I even saw a couple of runners out, probably taking advantage of their unexpected day off to get a long run in. I dispelled my guilt knowing that further up the hill at home it was still snowing. It arrived home with a nice covering of snow.
After some warming tea and toast I went out again in the afternoon to get supplies incase tomorrow is the same. I meant to take a few photos but before I managed to get my camera out I had been drawn into the local bar by promises of mulled wine.
[Off to work - Photo by Pete]
4 comments:
Here I am! I'm looking at you! (Does that help?)
It's so cute how a touch of snow makes everybody stay home. You could make a tiny snowman.
I'm looking too! Good luck with the training! I still have a "Go Sinead" banner from when you ran the Auckland half-mara... I also have one that says "What took you so long?" if that's more motivating?
From Caro W
I am up to three miles but yesterday only ran .2 (yes, .2) before ankle twinges forced me off.
At least my butt is lifting due to time spent on the stairmaster instead.
Sorry about the ankle.
When you mention it I think of how broken it looked when you busted it on the side of that hill.
Post a Comment