On Tuesday afternoon I had a timetable clash. I was supposed to go for a run but I also had to get ready for visitors. They were expected at afternoon tea time. Weary from their five hour car journey and I wanted to bake something good to revive them.
I thought I’d share the recipe for what turned out to be a delicious pudding.
Self Saucing Lemon Sponge Pudding
½ cup self raising flour
1 cup castor sugar
75g mixed peel
½ cup orange juice
½ cup lemon juice – about 4 juicy lemons, depending on your lemons.
Zest from lemons
125g butter
1 cup milk
3 eggs (separated)
icing sugar to dust
Find an oven proof dish that will hold 6 cups of liquid. Then find a roasting dish that the oven proof dish will fit into. (I had some issues with this but only after I’d already got the mixture into the dish.)
Pre-heat oven to 180. Lightly grease a 6 cup capacity oven proof dish. Mix flour, sugar and mixed peel and lemon zest in a large bowl. (If you have orange zest then add that too)
Melt butter and mix with orange & lemon juice, egg yolk, and milk. Beat into the flour mixture.
Whisk egg whites until stiff and then fold gently into the sloppy batter mix.
At this point you have a sloppy mess, pour it into the ovenproof dish and put it into the roasting dish, half fill with water and put it in the oven.
Bake for about an hour or until the mixture feels firm in the centre.
Serve with a light dusting of icing sugar and some whipped cream.
You would be highly unlikely to find this recipe on the nutrition page of runners world website but personally I think it fits well into a runners life, it’s a high carbohydrate (sugar) food which is quick to prepare and with that hour in the oven allows time for a run.
Sorry, I don’t have a photo – the pudding was eaten far too quickly .
The Assisted Dying Dilemma
1 year ago
No comments:
Post a Comment