Friday, April 13, 2007

Friday

Its got to be a Friday when your commute goes something like..... Waiting for the ferry to arrive I was so captivated by a series of rainbows across the harbour that I almost didn't notice four fit guys running past me in wet suits. They stopped at the edge of the jetty, put on fins and jumped into the sea about 10ft below. One of the benefits of living next to a naval base.....

The Navy have proven to be good neighbours so far which is more than can be said for the girl at number 4. Her car alarm went off 4 times between midnight and 3.30 am. Luckily I had fallen asleep at 8.30 last night so I was not desperate for sleep. Why anyone needs a car alarm when your car is parked outside your bedroom window is a mystery to me, furthermore why anyone would re-set their overly sensitive alarm 3 times in the night has me completely baffled. If I ever manage to get a car of my own I may be better placed to understand this behaviour, in the meantime I am just wondering at what point it is reasonable to put a brick through the window. Perhaps I'll just try talking to her over the weekend.

Somewhere in the midst of lost sleep and strange morning sights its starting to dawn on me all that has changed, the semi-permanence of my current situation is something that I need to embrace. Up until now the past 7 months here have been quite temporary, a holiday with booked ticket out of here marking the end. After getting a new working visa last week I am now able to stay here in NZ, it is slowly sinking in. I have a permanent job at the Bank and a flat across the harbour. I live here now.

More than once this week I have felt an urge to pack up and run away its been a bit of a tough week but instead of running away I have been running which even at my sedate pace leaves me too tired to consider doing anything drastic. I have now made it to the weekend and I'm glad I stayed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I want to pack up and run away on a regular basis. Last week I was unable to move, let alone run due to a debilitating headache and migriane. I couldn't even add up the time to NZ to call and groan down the phone. Until Friday I couldn't actually speak. Nevertheless, we are united in one way - car alarms. Think I will have to summon up the courage to talk to those people and the other guy who keeps his yapping dogs in the garden specifically on Sundays from around 9.00pm til midnight.