Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Getting here.

The journey from Auckland to Dunedin can be done quite quickly by plane, ours was a little slower. When Pete and I first talked of coming here I had a few fleeting thoughts of cycling all the way down, taking a holiday and giving myself the opportunity to transition from being an Aucklander to life on the Mainland. However with two cars and two people’s collective stuff Pete and I had no choice but to drive. Even after contracting professional removers to take the big things, our bits and bobs still filled both cars to the brim. It was a squeeze to fit my friend from the UK, Roz, and her reasonably sized bag. I felt a little guilty as she made space for herself in the passenger seat, I had encouraged her not to borrow a car for her road trip as traveling together we could save on fuel and ferry costs.

The journey south was great, our first stop was in Taupo, we were all part of a relay team competing in a running/walking race around the lake. With a bit of last moment shuffling both Roz and Pete had challenging running sections to focus their minds, I was left seeking motivation for speed walking 10KM in the dark around a section of the Lake. It was an odd but good start to the journey - we didn't win the competition, but across the team everyone met or bettered their expected times and collectively we finished over an hour faster than the previous year. 


From there the journey was more conventional over the next 3 days, we had drinks and dinner in Cuba St, Wellington, took an early ferry across the Cook Strait to Picton, enjoyed a successful morning Whale watching in Kaikoura and and indulged in afternoon of cake and coffee in Christchurch. When we reached Geraldine, Pete continued south on highway 1 to start Uni while Roz and I went to play in Queenstown. Our plan was to spend 5 days and 4 nights hiking along the Routeburn and Greenstone tracks. We were joined by Daisy, a friend of a friend, soon to be a new friend of ours.

Tramping the Routeburn was a very rewarding version of exercise.  We carried in a bottle of beer each to drink on the first evening which was delicious once it had been cooled in a stream along with our boot weary feet.  Although I had only walked for a couple of hours I felt I had earned the drink. We then carried the empty bottles for the rest of the trip as a penance.  The second day we were rewarded with perfect weather, from the top of Key Summit we could see snow capped peaks and as far as the sea on the West coast.  




[ Daisy on Key Summit, and the view to the sea]







Day three was more of a mixture, the rain had arrived overnight and brought with it some bad feeling.  When we got up to make breakfast we found some other hut guests had taken our cutlery - eating porridge with a single fork and spoon between 3 was sharing beyond our level of friendship.  Thankfully the hut warden was able to supply us with replacements from a his collection of abandoned silverware.  

When we reached Howden Hut, our lunch time stop, we had been walking for 3 hours in the rain. Our appetites for chocolate had increased considerably and at the same time our enthusiasm for a further 2 days walking had diminished.  The forecast of more rain, a severe weather warning and Daisy’s suggestion that there were many more fun things to do in and around Queenstown than walk in the rain really clinched it. We had a feast of a lunch selecting the best parts of our provisions for the next few days and then took the path to the Divide, a car park and bus shelter. By early evening we were back in Queenstown enjoying a good steak and a bottle of wine.

In the remaining time we only got rained on dashing from a restaurant to the cinema in Arrowtown , Roz did get soaked on her bungy jump into the Kawerau river, Daisy and I helped her recovery by wine tasting and later visited Arrowtown. Roz and I found time and energy for a 5 hour hike up Ben Lomond. From the summit we could see rain-clouds over the end of the Greenstone track eliminating any doubts about our change of plan.

All too soon it was Tuesday morning and time to move on, but we had an appointment, Roz was speaking at the Queenstown Primary School about her ocean rowing, Daisy and I were required as support crew. I can understand Roz wanting us there, I wouldn’t want to stand up in front of a room filled with ten year olds and talk about myself, even if I had done something as remarkable and attention grabbing as rowing across an ocean. I made myself useful by getting Roz iced coffee and video-ing the talk while Daisy, a recently qualified primary school teacher, gave Roz tips on how to get and keep the kids attention. I did a terrible job with the video camera, but Roz with Daisy’s guidance was brilliant, captivating a tough audience for well over the planned 25 minutes.  

After another medicinal coffee it was time to pack the car up and hit the road. The final leg of my holiday was afternoon tea with Sophie in Alexandra, some how both Daisy and Sophie squeezed into the passenger seat of the car for the short journey to the cafe.  Cake and coffee almost pushed us over capacity as Daisy struggled to contort herself back into the car for the return to Sophie's office. Finally, I dropped Daisy off and at 4 in the afternoon, several hours behind schedule I was alone in the car driving across Central Otago, on my way to my new home, Dunedin.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not sure who is more native, the foreigners on made cross country escapades or the native Maori (?) who live like that all the time.

Glad you found a solid collection of nutters to join you.

Lots of Love
D. xxx

Unknown said...

You went to Geraldine without Geraldine! At least I will make it there at the end of the year.

Anonymous said...

Sinead, nice to hear from you and glad you are well, your blogs always make me giggle a little as the humour is definately Sinead-ien and thats nice. All the best Hellen

Anonymous said...

Why is there no mention of my heroic car? It gave its life to ensure you both safe and comfortable passage to your new home. It carried a large portion of the junk you acquired over the course of the last year, ok some of it may be mine, but that is not the point. The point is when I come back, how am I with all my crap going to make it out of Dunedin? I can’t stay there in the winter or I will share the same fate as my car. This could be landie / landcruiser time!!!