Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Half Marathon Blog 8: The Taper

This week I am less busy preparing for the big race than the previous 10 or more weeks. I'm in the taper phase so runs are shorter. Today I set out to run for the longest of the week, just half an hour. Fifteen minutes in I met a friend in the street and chatted for ten minutes. Out of guilt I ended up running an extra 10 minutes. Striking a balance between resting and slacking is tricky.

I am doing better at the eating aspect of preparation. The goal is to boost energy stores in my body ready for extended effort on Sunday. I acknowledge that there is a difference between this and just eating for the sake of it. I have no idea which side of the line I'm on.

The weather is warm here at the moment. This worries me. I get overheated in the middle of winter while running. I'm hoping this fine spell will be replaced by overcast skies, fine drizzle and the very lightest of breeze. I'll probably get a howling gale and hailstones.

The warmer weather brings my biggest dilemma, my outfit for the day. Hats. I have been wearing a baseball cap. I have a collection of very un-cool ones all of which were free. For those who care I wash them each time they are worn - does anybody else do this?




The hats keep the sun or rain out of my eyes and stop some perspiration (there is a lot, hence regular laundering) from running into my eyes. Now that it has warmed up I'm finding the hats too hot. I checked out a super light mesh running cap in the shop - $30. I would invest but I may only wear it once. Should I attempt to modify one of my collection?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A hole punch would do a fine job. Or you could invest via ebay in a mesh one - I have a couple and they are so worth it (albeit that one was a freebie from a race and one I "acquired"). I also have one of those goofy "no head" golf/tennis ones that I paid good money for but wear often.
I agree, you have to wash them every time you wear them or they smell pretty rank.

Have prepared for next weekend's half-marathon run by not running at all for the past few days but by sending Brian out this morning for a quick 5-miler on my behalf.
Other preparations include breaking the news that I won't be tailgating at 9am next Sunday but I'll be there in time for kick off/throw in or whatever and with weary legs.

Other preparations include packing for Kauai, making DreamForce video, and not accepting any new projects before I leave.

Thinking of you. If I can do it, you can do it.

Unknown said...

Your Marathon Checklist:

Shoes
Singlet and/or Sports Bra
Shorts
Hydration Belt
Energy Gels/Bars
Socks
Bodyglide
Suncreen/Lip Balm
Sunnies
*Headwear*
Watch or Heart Rate Monitor
Directions to Start Line (ha)
Warm Up Clothes
Gloves
Tissues
Race Number
Pins
Timing Chip
Post Race Clothes
Money for Post Race Activities

Very accurately assigned meeting place (ie the BNZ tent)