Thursday, January 25, 2007

Job shoes

There is an unwritten law somewhere which says all girls love to buy shoes. I am the exception which proves the rule. I don't hate shopping in general, although I am trying to avoid it where possible as part of my bid to save the planet from becoming a giant, overheated landfill but thats another story.... Today I was forced to shop for shoes, I have a job interview on Tuesday and no shoes.

I did bring a few pairs with me but I mostly haven't seen them since I arrived. Although a job was always on the agenda here, it was far from the front of my mind when packing. So, I have a couple of pairs of trainers, hiking boots, cycle shoes and flip flops.

None of these go with the chocolate colour suit I plan to borrow from Clare. She has a lot of shoes, she is one of the shoe loving masses. Unfortunately her shoes are just a little too big for me. I did once borrow a pair of shoes for an interview, many years ago - I was fine when I set off, by the time I got to the place I could barely walk my feet hurt so much. I couldn't concentrate in the interview and didn't get the job. I don't want a repeat performance here, I need to get a job and am lucky enough to have seen one that I like the sound of, I am not going to risk it.

It was a hot sunny day and I live at the beach, to me it made no sense to be going anywhere. I decided to make this a one trip only mission vowing to come home with whatever the best pair of shoes I found were, even if I hated them. I have never shopped like this before and with only 3 shoe shops in the whole mall it was a brave plan.




I tried about half a dozen pairs and then saw a nice pair of trainers in the sale - time to move on to another shop.....nice t-shirts...keep going.....2-for-1 paperbacks in the book shop.....after checking all 3 shoe shops things were looking dire, I was on my second lap and took another look at the trainers then I'm not sure what happened but I soon found myself buying not one but two pairs of shoes - sorry planet.

I just hope the interview works out as well today's mission.

No comments: