In summary, I had a great Christmas and a good New Year. Being a wierd bunch we went hunting for bugs in the woods after dark on New Year's Eve. Midnight passed as we were walking back to the house along the beach. We could have just as easily been asleep had the bug hunting trip been shorter. It was refreshing to see in the New Year with other people who like I couldn't give two hoots about "Celebrating" - besides we had to be up at 4.30am to go to the airport the next morning.
(Photo of bugs - Wetas - as big as my hand)
I spent the first week of this grand new year with Clare, carbo loading for the year ahead. That means eating more than we need to build a store of energy available for... well, for the myriad of activities we may plan this year. The first opportunity to burn some of these stores was taking her brand new mountain bike for some exercise. My year old bike looked equally new so rather than head for the recommended mountain bike trails on the West coast we opted to bike on some quiet tracks at one of the other regional parks where we could make fools of ourselves in peace. After a couple of hours walking our bikes up hills and re-learning how to ride down the steep bits both Clare and I looked well worn in but the lack of mud kept the bikes looking mint - bummer.
The second week of this year I spend updating my CV. I have not actually finished but when I do it will be superb. As well as having an amazing CV we will have the cleanest house in Auckland and I will have read all the books I recieved for Christmas plus those given to Clare and Malcolm. I have been procrastinating a little. But there is always this week. Apart from today which was spent cycling and preparing for Malcolm's birthday (tomorrow). I may have been able to put in a bit of time this evening but on the way home from shopping/work Clare's car broke down. We were left stranded on the side of the motorway with no Breakdown Cover. A few phonecalls later and we manged to establish the number for directory enquires (Here in NZ its 018, UK - 192 in case you ever need to know) and then numbers for tow trucks. The nice man loaded the dead car (broken clutch cable) on to the truck and we headed for the garage. Then he dropped us home, all in under an hour. Far better than any story I have ever heard of the AA and we got to listen to the police scanner in the cab of his truck. No idea what any of it meant but I'm sure it was very exciting really.
No comments:
Post a Comment