Thursday, September 03, 2009

Half Marathon Blog 7: Fun Run

10 sleeps to go before I line up to charge around Dunedin Harbour for the half-marathon. With just five training runs left, preparations are going well.

I have selected my outfit and have a corresponding list of body parts that I must remember to bandage or apply Vaseline to protect from rubbing clothing. My pacemaker (Pete) is fired up and ready to go and the secret weapon to get me through the last 5km has been organised.

Last Sunday was the official pre-marathon ‘Fun Run’. I shan’t dwell on how poorly named an event this was for me. What I did gain (in addition to the finish line chocolate bar) was a real understanding of just how effective negative thinking can be in sabotaging my efforts. About two thirds of the way through I had become so focused on all the bad things about running that I almost came to a complete halt. I managed to refrain from a full-blown tantrum but I was ready to give up. In hindsight it was silly. I have been training for months, running in a race, even a ‘Fun Run’ supposed to be hard, that’s the point. I was well able to finish the run, I even managed to pick up the pace towards the end passing a couple of people I’d let slip by in my slump.

Since then I have put some effort in to mental preparation, trying to learn from the ‘Fun Run’. This may sound OTT but I believe that my legs, heart and lungs are pretty well prepared to get around the course however I have allowed my head to slob out on the sofa and its ‘race fitness’ is more Homer Simpson than Paula Radcliffe.

I am going to celebrate my half-marathon efforts and as part of my motivation package I have decided what I want at the finish line. First I’ll be looking for a clear patch of grass to lie down for a couple of minutes then I will be heading up the road to the supermarket to get a Magnum Classic ice-cream. Some time after that a glass of bubbly, feel free to use me as an excuse to drink champagne on Sunday 13 September.

Combining brain and body training I forced myself to go out in the rain yesterday, I had to put up with being dive bombed by sea gulls during my strides workout. A week ago I’d have called it quits early but I put Hitchcock style images out of my mind and ran on.

I believe my mind is toning up quite well and most importantly of all I’ve stopped planning my retirement from running.

1 comment:

Gavin said...

I am so impressed. Sorry I can't be there to watch and make noise (but I can be here to drink champagne on Saturday night as you're crossing the line). Then maybe I will talk myself into trying something like this, too.

Have fun!

g